Saturday, March 27, 2010

Just Like a Vacation - Blue Rodeo

Blue Rodeo (who apparently are in town tonight at the "Place des Arts" venue) are a long lived, well seasoned, country - rock group from Ontario.  They headlined at an outdoor concert I went to when I had just graduated university.  Before then I had heard their 1 or 2 contributions to radio Canadian-a and I had really went to the concert to watch Sarah McLachlan.  And even though most of their pop-rock was not memorable in the freezing mountain cold of the Laurentian summer their ballads of impossible love, broken hearts, and just being plain blue left a mark on me to this day.  So last year I had finally decided (17 years after) to buy an album of theirs on I-Tunes and this seemed like the best way to get a good selection of their flavors and to also experience Blue Rodeo at their best - live.  The album is a history of all their best works from the country-twanged non-sense lyrics of "Cynthia", to the haunting rendition of "Dark Angel", and finishing with "Florida" which bears the album's name sake line.  If you ever want to know what Blue Rodeo is about this is definitely worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment