Thursday, April 1, 2010

My Video Card is Pwned

So the clean up didn't work.  My Windows 7 gaming rig was still intermittently crapping out on 3D processing.  Yesterday I tried updating my video driver and compress-air'd all the dust bunnies and their friends out of my computer and into the neighbors laundry.  I removed a drive which died on me a few months ago and check all the boards for a burn spot.  I found (sorry for over exposed shot) a capacitor had cracked open on my video card which oddly coincides with a loud pop my GF and I heard last week while we were in the living room next to the computer.  So the card was pwned but in a way where it worked until you really made it work.  One of those problems normal people would pay 100$ plus new parts for a techie to fix.  Luckily, I'm not normal...

Last night I spent most of the evening looking for a replacement when I realize the card was an AGP slot - a standard a year or 2 ago but definitely not now.  To my horror upon searching through Futureshop, Bureau en Gros, and Microbytes, AGP was not really being sold anywhere.  I then went to the place everyone goes for old stuff - Ebay.  I luckily found 1 in a few for a quick buy for less than a hundred.  Guess we'll see in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment