Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Witcher (revised)

So I have been playing the Witcher on and off and the game is growing on me.  It has crashed on me twice and there seems to be a bug regarding "SHIFT-TAB" to Steam console during the game's start up but all in all past that, past the first 3 hours of adjusting to a weird combat system, and past the loads of interface screens the game has to offer (and you have to learn) I really, really like this game.

I just recently figured out the combat system and can not remember if I just misunderstood the explanation.  Simply (for all of you readers still guessing at it) once you have entered combat and have chosen a style of combat (strong, fast, or group) hold the mouse button down to start Geralt on his swing and keep the mouse down until the sword icon glows red at which you click and hold the mouse down again.  It is the most simple and yet satisfying UI mechanic I have ever come across for melee combat in a video game.  I only wish other games would have something as innovative.

Other aspects of the game that I am really enjoying are the quests.  Though a non linear flow of game events the quests are still logically made available when your character accomplishes key quests.  Putting this effort into designing the game story leads to less situations where a player becomes trapped with a choice he has previously made and though harder he can still salvage a plot route gone bad.

The Witcher has reminded me that 2 years of WoW interfaces and point and click action has gotten me a little soft on adapting to a fully immersive RPG experience and with a little patience the experience is quite satisfying.  In any case I just wanted to say that if given a good chance you will probably find the Witcher definitely worth the time wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment