Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Watched Kick-Ass

Thanks to my wonderful friends who organized a great evening out at the movies, Kick-Ass is finally watched.  What did I think?  It was entertaining and I was glad that the trailers did not spoil the movie for me despite watching the many trailers on YouTube. 

The definite show stealer was, of course, Chloe Moretz, who played Hit Girl/Mindy McCreedy - the crass talking, ass kicking power house of an 11 year old.  As for her two (or three) other co-stars they also held their own.  The actor (whose name I forget) who played Kick-Ass/Daniel was very convincing as the geek with a misplaced sense of taking a stand turned hero.  And, surprisingly, I liked Nicolas Cage as Big Daddy, a falsely disgraced cop with a serious vendetta against the ruthless crime lord (whose name I also forget) - the main antagonist of the story. 

I found the "McLuvin" dude a little annoying as the spoiled mafioso brat (AKA Red Mist) lost to his role in life.  His character like most of the villains in the movie were stereotypically single minded and two dimensionally brutal which was alright for this movie of introductions and beginnings.  The Red Mist character should have had more color to him since he really was the only unconvincing character in the movie.

The whole movie itself was almost an anti-Spiderman movie with many references to the Spiderman (2000) movie in scenes, dialogue, and especially in plot.  And like Spiderman there was a lead off to a second Kick-Ass with a villain ready to avenge a dead father. 

Kick-Ass is currently the top movie this week.  Be aware that the movie is quite violent with some sexual innuendos.  Do not bring the faint of heart and leave the kids with the baby sitter.

1 comment:

  1. When I get back the comic book I will lend it to you, I don't want to post spoilers here for your readers. I liked McLovin but I agree, it should have been better but I think the fact of rich kid trying to impress Daddy was good. Yet his face is too cute for being the bad :P

    ReplyDelete